Blackened Shrimp, Asparagus, and Avocado Salad with Lemon Pepper Yogurt Dressing
Salad seems to get a bad rap. But it doesn't have to be a bland dish that you dread eating. It can be bursting with vibrant colors and flavors, plus it has nutrients your body sorely needs. The shrimp provides protein and vitamin B12. The asparagus is a delicious source of fiber and vitamins A,C,E, and K. The avocado has more potassium than a banana! Plus, your taste buds might even enjoy it as much as your body does. We hope you enjoy!
- 500g raw peeled large shrimp (King Prawns), tails removed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (or smokey for a different flavour option)
- 2 bunches of Asparagus, halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups Cos lettuce leaves (or lettuce of choice), washed and ready to use
- 1 Avocado, cubed
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional for extra flavour)
- 2 tablespoons water (or olive oil)
- Salt to taste
Shrimp and Salad
- In a shallow bowl, combine shrimp (prawns) with all of the spice ingredients, and rub into the shrimp until evenly coated.
- Heat a large pan/skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the shrimp/prawns and the Asparagus while turning occasionally until the shrimp/prawns and asparagus have started to change colour and are just cooked (about 5 minutes).
- Combine the lettuce leaves, avocado, onion slices and basil leaves in a salad bowl.
- Add the shrimp/prawns and avocado over the top.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
- Combine the yogurt in a bowl with the lemon pepper, lemon juice (if using), water and salt.
- Mix well to combine.